Saturday, August 8, 2015

African Fantasy Artwork



Artist Unknown.  If anyone knows, please tell me via PM or the comment section

If you're a long-time reader of my blog, chances are you saw a Magic School Campaign post for Spears of the Dawn.  I am a big fan of Kevin Crawford's work, and his fantasy Africa setting is one of the retroclones I am most eager to try out at some point in gaming.  Even though I haven't found any grabbers yet, this did not keep me from gathering potential material.  Beyond maps and adventure writing, I often find that artwork is another great inspirational source.

Aside from this game and Nyambe, African fantasy in regards to the tabletop scene has been very sparse, and this extends to artwork as well.  I spent a good amount of time looking for pictures which might be appropriate for such a campaign, and ended up with 138 images.  So right here I'd like to share my findings in an Imgur album link.  I hope that people find it a useful resource, whether they're old-school or modern D&D, or using homebrew or published settings.

I'd like to note that the artwork for Spears of the Dawn is available for free on DriveThruRPG for further material.  I showcased a lot of it in my review of the RPG in this thread on GiantITP.

No comments:

Post a Comment